A New Translation and Commentary. The Study Quran is a historic and groundbreaking work, produced by a distinguished team of Islamic studies scholars led by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, which offers:
- A new English translation of the Qur'an that is accurate, accessible, and reliable in how it renders this sacred text
- A wide-ranging verse-by-verse commentary that brings together the most respected and distinguished traditions of metaphysical, spiritual, theological, and legal interpretation of the Qur'an within Islam
- A helpful introduction to each surah that provides an overview and background of its teachings
- Essays by fifteen internationally renowned scholars on how to read and understand the Qur'an and its role in shaping Islamic civilization
- A beautiful two-color, two-column design that presents the sacred text and commentary in the spirit of traditional Quran manuscripts
- Maps, a time line of historical events, comprehensive indexes, and other features to aid reading
The Study Quran provides a service never before available to readers of English: a scholarly yet accessible resource where one can quickly and easily explore how Muslims have interpreted the Qur'an through the centuries to the present day. An invaluable resource for scholars and students of all backgrounds, and especially to Muslims who want to deepen their understanding of their own tradition, The Study Quran is a much-needed guide in a time when confusion about the Qur'an and Islam is so prevalent.
An great resource for studying a sacred text
Renowned Muslim and Islamic scholar Seyyed Hossein Nasr and a team of editors provide a window into how the Qur'an has been understood by Muslims through the centuries. For the first time, scholars and students of all backgrounds have a clear and reliable resource in English for exploring the history of interpretation for any passage in the Qur'an.
"In our post-9/11 world, the Qur'an is becoming a more public document in the West than it has ever been throughout its history. Ultimately, this has the potential to validate misunderstanding as easily as it affords insight into the meaning of the text for Muslims. In this context, The Study Quran could not be more timely. This painstaking work will do much to enlighten and inform the reading strategies of all who seek to understand the Holy Writ of Islam, especially as it relates to the beliefs and practices of Muslims." --Sherman A. Jackson, King Faisal Chair in Islamic Thought and Culture at the University of Southern California
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account and enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.